Follow ImgResidency on Twitter
Subscribe to the Match TODO newsletter. Reminders for important dates and events throughout the match process.
Site Sponsors:
www.ResidencyPlace.com - Customized Program Requirements
www.IMGResidency.com - IMG Match and Scramble Services

What are my chances to land a Pediatrics /IM slot

Scramble experience, suggestions, strategies

What are my chances to land a Pediatrics /IM slot

Postby IMGdoc » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:08 pm

Yr of graduation 2006, need J1/H1 visa
Step1 99/238
Step2 99/245, CS Pass (all 1st Attempt)
4 months observership in NICU, and a case report manuscript in review
2 Non US; 1US LOR
I applied to 15 programs (too little in hindsight) and received no interview offer. I am now thinking if I should wait and match next year, or try postmatch scramble. What would my chances be? And do I subscribe for services offered by companies like IMG residency?

Thanks a lot in advance for the replies; and wish you all the best.
IMGdoc

Re: What are my chances to land a Pediatrics /IM slot

Postby anatolyk » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:25 pm

If not for visa requirement, I would estimate your odds as very high.
Why just 15 programs? A year of waiting costs much more than extra $1,000 spent on more ERAS applications.
anatolyk

Postby IMGdoc » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:05 am

Thanks Anatolyk

Just did not understand "if not your visa .." I am wondering whether most of the IMGs that do get matched either in the main one or the scramble do not have any visa requirement? I did not apply to more places because of the need to restrict myself to places around the (north)east coast since my husband works here, and that we have a new born.
IMGdoc

Postby anatolyk » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:49 am

Visa requirement with your scores shouldn't be a problem in the Match. Scramble, however is a different story.
Some programs do not work with visa applicants, period. Others do not work with visa applicants that are citizens of certain countries. For example it is a well known fact that applicants of Indian origin quite often cannot get their J1's on time to start the residency.

Whatever programs left is where your scramble chance is. Programs that work with visas usually get filled, so the ones left for the scramble typically do not accept visa applicants.

I believe that if you applied to more programs you sure would have got plenty of interviews in the Match.
anatolyk

Postby IMGdoc » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:06 am

Thanks again, I wish I had come to this forum much earlier. As it is I am an IMG from India so it was not very comforting to know about the J1 issues :(

On another note, what is your opinion about the companies that offer scramble services. When I had contacted IMG residency, they said that the odds that I land a Ped residency was 15-20%; and the question that I have is whether it would be worth the risk to spend 600-1000 USD on the service at this time with visa issues, or that I get to wait for the next match.. which would then mean that my years since graduation go up.
IMGdoc

Postby anatolyk » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:13 am

Nobody but you can decide whether or not it is worth spending X dollars for the chances you were given.

I wish there was a simple answer. An extra year after graduation is not going to make much difference. At the same time starting residency a year earlier and therefore eventually becoming licensed a year earlier is worth a lot of money. But as you said, this would have been simple if your chances were 100%.

Sorry for not having a straight answer.
anatolyk

Postby IMGdoc » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:15 am

Yeah.. I see that ... but then Thanks a lot for those prompt answers to my queries, I greatly appreciate it.
IMGdoc

Postby ssdoc » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:32 pm

hey buddy,

with scores such as yours and an experience in neonatology your prospects seem to be bright...
just wanted to wish you the very best!!
ssdoc

IMG Residency Match 2013 Service

Return to Post Match Scramble